Hope, not Hate


Updated - 12/15/19, 10:32 PM

I just saw that Hallmark has reversed it's decision. Christmas magic! (Or, more likely, the threat of losing sponsors and ad money, but a win is a win.)




The video links to CNN coverage and an interview with GLAAD President & CEO Sarah Kate Ellis. Her remarks are pretty interesting.

This never should have happened, but I'm so glad that the topic was revisited. (I also not-so-secretly hope that Zola tells them to sod off. Or creates an ad that is exclusively about same-sex couples.)

-

Original Post:


I, obviously, really love Hallmark movies - Countdown to Christmas, Winter Fest, Countdown to Valentine's Day, Spring Fling, June Weddings, Summer Nights, Fall Harvest - I watch all of them.  All. Of. Them.  Hallmark has become my benchmark for perfection. Who wouldn't want to live in a winter wonderland? Visit the town pop-up skating rink while drinking peppermint hot chocolate? Sip cider wondering through a fall fair?  I actively seek out these experiences in my quest to live a more Hallmarky kind of life. It's my ideal.



For as much as I love Hallmark, I loathe bullies and today we found out that HM has chosen to be on the side of homophobic, hate-filled bullies.

via Zola
(sidenote: How amazing does this wedding look? Absolutely breathtaking!)

I know some people will think it's silly that I'm so offended by Hallmark's stance, but to me, Hallmark has always been a beacon of light and hope, especially at Christmastime. It's supposed to be free of politics and controversy, but it's also supposed to be for everyone.

As someone who loves some amazing LGBTQ people in real life and as someone who believes that love should always win I cannot pretend to be okay with what HM has done.

I've decided to take a bit of a break from Hallmark for the time being and will keep hoping that Mr. Abbott changes his mind and revisits his conscious. I hope to be back on the HM wagon soon because I really can't imagine my holidays without HM in it.



"love is a terrible thing to hate"








Comments