Christmas at the Plaza

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

I hope you spent the day with loved ones eating way too much turkey and pumpkin pie. I'm now back home in my comfy (read: elastic waisted) pants and I'm ready for some Hallmark. We're in my home of NYC for this one so I'm interested to see how they use the City to their advantage. I always laugh at the fictionalized version of NYC we get in these movies (and how much better it would be!), so here we go.


Jessica Cooper (HM newcomer Elizabeth Henstridge) has been hired by the famed Plaza hotel in NYC to document and curate a display on their Christmas history. She's teamed up with Christmas decorator Nick Correlli (Ryan Paevey) and helped along the way by head bellman Reginald (Bruce Davison). Nick and Jess have a different approach to the project. While Jess is in an almost 2-year relationship with Dennis, Nick shows her she's with the wrong guy. With little direction from the higher-ups at the hotel, Jess centers her research and gallery on the Plaza's tree toppers - apparently, they've had a different one every year. (I'm from NY and celebrated all of my 30+ Christmases here and have never heard of this tradition) - but one is missing from the records. This is where former Christmas ornament designer Reginald comes in.

To be honest, Reginald's story was way more interesting than Nick/Jess' and I think HM kind of does a disservice by not acknowledging that more mature characters can be the main stars.

-

I may grumble about it daily, but NYC is MAGICAL at Christmastime and they could have played that up way better in the opening sequence.

... and welcome to The Plaza, home of entitlement.


Stall the friggin ball! You can get a PhD in Christmas!? Sign me the up!

Why in the world would you move that ladder? That's just stupid.


Oh, it's that guy (Nelson Wong)! He was in Jingle Around the Clock, Wedding March, and Hope at Christmas...


Amanda. Miss Clark, if you're nasty.

"I have degrees in anthropology, urban archeology, and social genealogical studies."
"Be careful. One more degree and you'll have a fever."
Wocka, wocka!

"Speaking of bad relationships, how's Dennis?" Bazinga! PS - We know Dennis, a clinical biography professor, is supposed to be very boring because he's always wearing a blazer and turtleneck.


That is a very, very, very fake looking Christmas tree. I guess most of the budget was tied up in using the Plaza.

Do we think Reginald's date from 1968 is Amanda?!


Can you imagine thinking you can have a lazy night at home and then some Dennis rings your bell to remind you that you have fancy, boring plans?

That was an impressive (and impossible) turnaround.

Dennis is a cutie pie. (Maybe I just still have pie on the brain.) But he's a jerk.
"Did you really have to bring up that whole Christmas ornament thing...?

This driver is a bit too chatty for my liking. Ugh and now he's singing!

If this was written by New Yorkers the line would have been "I've got a guy".

Um, Nick brought Jess to his mom's house completely unannounced and unbeknown to Jess. That's weird?
It's Val Stanton from Heartland!

I would love a future with a guy that decorates Christmas trees. Your loss, Alicia.

Nick inviting Jess on a Christmas Eve date even though he knows she's dating Dennis? Bold move.

So Reginald was making a replica of the tree topper from the year he and his girlfriend went to tea, but he stopped because the girl's parents didn't approve of them and they broke-up. It's beautiful.


Not sure I agree with this whole who paid for the tickets theory.

It wasn't Amanda, it was a girl named Marie.

Hi, I'm just going to show up at your job even though I dumped you years ago and try to make out with you. Cool?


MARIE IS AT THE OPENING OF THE EXHIBIT!!!


Actually, no. You didn't see him kiss anyone.

If the Plaza still needs a historian (with absolutely no experience), call me!

Nick decorated Jess' house without her seeing/hearing anything. How is that possible?!

Nick tells a story of how his grandparents met at the Plaza on Christmas Eve (nothing unimportant ever happens at the Plaza) and his tradition now is to come and have a drink in their honor. Guess what newly-broken-up Christmas curator shows up to meet him this year?









Comments